Severe Weather Arrangements
We will always attempt to keep the academy open if at all possible when there is severe weather which hampers transport and compromises safety.
We understand that you have commitments too. Parents/Carers need to decide if the journey is safe when severe weather affects transport and/or walking conditions. Please consider carefully and only keep children at home if conditions are unsafe. Please ensure your son/ daughter is appropriately clothed for cold/wet/windy weather and that shoes/boots have good grip for icy conditions.
When deciding whether to open or close the academy, there are several factors we need to consider, including:
- if we can clear a safe path to access the academy building,
- if enough staff can get to Bradfields to supervise the children, (it may not be possible to deliver the normal curriculum in some circumstances),
- if we have water and heat,
- if we can provide a midday meal or get messages to you in time for you to provide packed lunches.
It may be that:
- only certain classes open,
- we open for just part of the day,
- we close completely,
- we decide to close early and need you to organise collecting your children/transport companies will collect them early,
- we are open but there are special arrangements, e.g. packed lunches are necessary as no academy meals are available.
We will make our decision as early as is possible in the morning and will communicate with you in one or all of the following ways:
- Through Schoolcomms – please ensure our records are up to date if you have recently changed mobile contact details. This is our quickest and best way of getting text messages to you, so please look out for them during severe weather and make these your first port of call for information.
- With an announcement on the academy website: https://www.bradfieldsacademy.co.uk/
- With a post on our Facebook page: Bradfields Academy Like us on Facebook to be notified of posts.
- With an announcement on www.kentclosures.co.uk/
- All schools in Kent will update this site if a closure is needed.
- Listen to KMFM, BBC Kent Radio or Heart FM and/or use their websites; who will provide updates.
If you are concerned about a possible closure please check the above rather than ringing the academy direct as extra calls tie up the phone lines, which would delay arrangements being made.