Bradfields Academy population is from across all communities in the Medway Towns and includes a mixture of affluent and deprived groups. The Academy's philosophy underpins a respect for all and the recent achievement of the Inclusive Schools Quality Mark (2008) and the Full International Schools Award [ISA] (2011 & 2015) identifies our success in this area.
The Academy places a huge emphasis on developing awareness of 'self' and interaction with others in the community of Medway/Kent/England/the world. To that end the Academy is actively developing International Links around the world with the intention of having a partner school in each continent. This currently means we have partners in :
- China (Qicong Special school)
- USA (Summit Hall Elementary school)
- Finland (Hatanpaan Koulu)
- Portugal (Escola Secundaria Homem Cristo)
- Portugal (Escola Profissional de Aveiro)
- Croatia (IV Gimnazija ‘Marko Marulic’)
- Spain (IES Donoso Cortes)
- Turkey (Mustafa Eminoglu Anadolu Lisesi)
- Turkey (Nuh Mehmet Baldoktu Anadolu Lisesi)
- Estonia (Sindi Gumnaasium)
- Italy (Instituto Tecnico Commerciale e per Geometrio ‘Enrico Mattei’)
We are currently looking to develop links with schools in Saudi Arabia, France and Argentina ;
This work has been encouraged by the British Council and the European Union and in many cases funded by grants from them.
We have been successful in 2 Comenius - school Partnerships with Turkey, Portugal, Spain, Italy and Estonia for 2011-13 ; and Finland, Portugal & Turkey for 2012-14.
We have developed and delivered International Activities in:
- Global Citizenship - International school Links [Citizenship, Health Education, Information and Communications Technology] ;
- Global Citizenship - The World We Live In [Food Technology, Science, Geography, History, Information and Communications Technology] ;
- Global Citizenship - Chinese Mandarin [Information and Communications Technology, Modern Languages]
- Global Citizenship – Polish [Information and Communications Technology, Modern Languages]
- Global Global Citizenship – French [Information and Communications Technology, Modern Languages]
- Global Citizenship – Democracy & Human Rights [PSHCE & Citizenship, Land Studies and Forestry]
- Global Citizenship - Creative & Performing Arts [Art and Design, Drama, Music] ; Developing Special Education Curricular, Provision & Practice Methodologies [Art and Design, Citizenship, Drama, English, Geography, Health Education, History, Home Economics, Information and Communications Technology, Modern Languages, Physical Education, Religious Education, Food Technology, PSHCE]
We have had staff and student visits to China , Turkey , Finland , Portugal , Spain , Estonia , Italy , Saudi Arabia , France  & Germany .
We have had 3 full week residential trips to our partner school in China [Spring 2011 & 2012 and Autumn 2014] ; each one for 8 students and 4 staff.
We have hosted our China Link School’s Headteacher and Foshan Education Ministry delegates when they visited the UK in 2010.
in Guangdong Province
People’s Republic of China
Our Partner school in Foshan : Qicong Special School
We have hosted 20 students and 4 staff 8 parents from our former Link school in Kuwait.
We have hosted visits from staff and students involved in our two Comenius Projects. Most recently this saw 18 students and 6 staff from Portugal, Finland and Turkey being with us at Bradfields during March 2014.
Current feedback from our students and staff clearly shows the value placed on these links and the significant impact on our rich curriculum and the development of : spoken Polish, Mandarin Chinese & French ; increased understanding and appreciation of language/culture ; a real sense of being a Global Citizen ; and, an improvement in our SEN professional development.
Current feedback from our partner schools mirrors the previous statement and in addition : we have assisted them with their understanding and appreciation of Disability.