The PE Department runs courses in:
- Entry Level PE
- Healthy Living
- ASDAN Sports and Fitness
- BTEC Sport and Active Leisure
- Sports Leadership
PE is taught to all students from Key Stage 1 to Stage to Key Stage 5.
Our vibrant PE lessons develop students’ competence and confidence so they can take part in a range of physical activities that can become a central part of their lives.
We aim for all students to enjoy and succeed in many kinds of physical activity.
We want to ignite children’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, to build their capacity to learn and to form relationships and thrive. Our curriculum focuses on the key areas of:
- physical development.
- communication and language.
- personal, social and emotional development.
Key Stage 1:
Students develop core movement, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities.
Students improve agility, balance and co-ordination (ABCs) by working individually and with others. They start to engage in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities.
Students will be taught to:
- master basic movements such as running, jumping, throwing and catching
- participate in simple team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns
Key Stage 2:
Students continue to implement and develop a broader range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement.
Students have the opportunity to enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other. They develop an understanding of how to succeed in different activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Students will be taught to:
- use running, jumping, catching and throwing in isolation and in combination
- play a range of competitive games, modified where appropriate
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
All students will be taught swimming and water safety. Students develop competence and confidence in a range of skills and strokes.
Key Stage 3
Students build on and embed the physical development and skills learnt in Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2. They become more competent, confident and expert in their techniques and apply them across different sports and activities.
Students improve their understanding of what makes a good performance. They develop the confidence and interest to get involved in exercise and sports and activities out of the academy and in later life.
Students will be taught to:
- use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in competition through team and individual games
- develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports such as athletics and gymnastics
- perform dances using increasingly advanced movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activities which present mental and physical challenges and develop skills to solve problems
Key Stage 4: WJEC Entry Pathways – Healthy Living and Fitness
- Available at Entry 2 and Entry 3
The course is exciting, challenging and builds on the work from Key Stage 3. It is a 2 year course that students start in Year 10 and complete in Year 11.
The aim of this course is to give learners the opportunity to participate in a variety of sporting and health and fitness activities. Learners will develop an understanding of factors which contribute to their own and others’ healthy living and fitness.
Students are provided with a choice of activities that suit their abilities. There are opportunities to access local facilities for swimming and personal fitness.
Key Stage 5
All students continue to take part in PE as part of an active and healthy lifestyle.
We support students in finding leisure interests and sporting activities that they would like to do outside of school and when they leave the academy. Students have the opportunity to use a range of local facilities.
Students are able to complete a range of courses that best suit their stage of learning:
ASDAN Sport and Fitness - this qualification recognises and rewards personal qualities, abilities and achievements.
BTEC Sport and Active Leisure (E3/Level 1) - this qualification is vocationally related. It has been designed to provide an engaging and stimulating introduction to the world of sport in a work-related context. The course is both practical and theoretical. Students’ practical skills and their knowledge in selected sports are assessed and they learn about the different components of fitness.
Healthy Living - all students follow a Healthy Living course that can lead to a Level 1 or Level 2 qualification. The course gives students the knowledge and understanding of the basic principles of healthy living. Students learn how to keep a healthy body weight, the requirements of a healthy diet and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Available at Level 1 and Level 2 to Key Stage 4 and 5 students
Sports Leadership provides the ideal starting point for students who wish to develop their leadership skills, whilst under the direct supervision of their teacher.
The syllabus is designed to develop generic leadership skills that can be applied to a variety of sports and recreational situations as well as contributing to the personal development of the student.
Opportunities arise for students to support teachers in the delivery of lessons as part of this course.
- Home learning is set for all students in Key Stages 3, 4 and 5
- At KS3 students receive booklets that provide a range of challenges that can be completed outside of the academy
- KS4 students receive a home learning sheet for the term that relates to their practical activity
- At KS5 students receive home learning as part of their Healthy Living lessons
PE Quality Mark
As a result of our subject development work in PE we were re-accredited by The Association for Physical Education and awarded with the distinction PE Quality Mark in November 2018 for providing a high standard of PE and Sport at Bradfields.